Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Erin Taylor

www.erintaylor.co.nz
facebook.com/Erin-Taylor
Physical Address:  3 Plimmer Steps, Wellington CBD
Operating Since:  I have been a dressmaker, working from home since 2008;  I opened my boutique and workroom in November 2010.


What are you all about?  
What kind of clothes do you make?
I don't mass-produce; my aim is to sell unique or limited stocks of good quality women's workwear and cocktail wear.  I also custom make any kind of dress/skirt.  I will be selling my own line of unique vintage style wedding gowns in Spring 2011.  I am also on a one-woman mission to bring a bit of class to the way women dress these days - for example, if I see another pair of denim shorts with holes in them, I will scream.


Who makes your clothes?
Me, in my workroom, which is visible from the footpath.  Some people come in and sit with their lunch, watch me work and have a chat.


Who sells your clothes?  Can we buy them online?
I sell them in my shop on the Plimmer Steps.  You can view what in-store online & use the contact page on the website to put an item on hold or order an item.  I am happy to send items throughout NZ with an invoice enclosed.


What price range are your clothes in?
On the rack: $69 - $385.  Dressmaking prices vary from $115 for skirts to $650+ for wedding gowns.  Jewellery is $24 - $35.


Why do you think NZ clothing labels outsource their manufacturing overseas?
I've heard it's cheaper.  I could never let my clothes be made in factories overseas.  It defeats the whole purpose of the idea of my business - to provide unique products.  Also NZers are prepared to pay a bit more for clothes that are made here & that will stand the test of time.


What could the government do to help clothing labels keep it in NZ?
A tax break would be lovely!  Or a grant for businesses starting up that are making NZ-made products.


Anything to add?
Whatever you decide to do in life - just be passionate about it.  As success is much sweeter and failure is less bitter when you know you have given it everything.  Oh - and don't wear long tops with no pants - you don't look as good as you think :)

2 comments:

  1. Erin, Your clothes are as fabulous as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had beautiful stuff in your shop today Erin and I LOVED your advice re. the long tops :D

    ReplyDelete