Friday, July 6, 2012

Rosie Miller

www.rosiemiller.co.nz
facebook.com/rosiemillerdesigns
twitter.com/RosieMDesigns
Physical Address:  Christchurch
Operating Since:  July 2011


What are you all about?
What kind of clothes do you make?
Rosie Miller is a women's fashion label based out of Christchurch.  This label has been born out of a love of fashion and textiles.  Having my own clothing label has always been a dream of mine and now I am lucky enough to be living my dream.  What I love most about fashion is understated glamour.  It's the little things like pleats here, tucks there, a surprise patterned lining in a jacket, or the hint of something vintage-inspired coming through in the design.  My latest collection includes coats, capes, jackets, tops, dresses and skirts.


Who makes your clothes?
I design and produce all the garments myself, which I love.  But soon I will look to locally  outsourcing some of the processes that go into making a garment.


Who sells your clothes?  Can we buy them online?
You can buy my clothes from my website or in store at Where The Fox Lives in Christchurch, Made.It in Wellington and soon to be stocked in Dunedin as well.


What price range are your clothes in?
From $70 up to $430 for the Flared Coat.


Why do you think NZ clothing labels outsource their manufacturing overseas?
It really comes down to the price.  You can get cheaper fabric, labour and production & then even when you factor in shipping from overseas, garments are still working out a lot cheaper.  It's hard to compete with that when you're just starting out.  But just know that when you buy NZ-made, it's unique and was made with a lot of love.


What could the Government do to help clothing labels keep it in NZ?
I think there needs to be more community education and support for why we should be moving away from 'disposable' fashion & more of a focus on the slow fashion movement and buying New Zealand made.  I would love to see a mentoring program set up between new designers and more established designers.

No comments:

Post a Comment