Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Design Cartel

www.missabigail.co.nz (This is my label's website. I only have a Facebook page for Design Cartel so far)
facebook.com/Miss-Abigail
facebook.com/designcartel.nz
Physical Address: 109 Willis St, Dukes Arcade, Wellington
Operating Since:  Shop has been open since Monday 5th November.  
I have been working on my own label for about 10 years.  I took a few years away from fashion for a bit of a career change to work in mental health & since moving to New Zealand, I am now completely all into it again.


What are you all about? I am all about meeting local New Zealand designers to share stories and help support each other.  I recently opened Design Cartel; a shop with about 15 designers, which always looking for more local talent.  Part of the reason I wanted to open a shop was so I can make whatever I want, when I want, without designing a year in advance. There aren't any wholesalers in Wellington so it makes it quite hard to source stuff so far in advance; then when you're ready to buy, you run the risk of a fabric not being available.

What kind of clothes do you make?
My designs are fashion forward, being quite girly and cute.  My recent range is toned down a little, compared to usual, to try and accommodate my designs to a wider range of people.  I love using bright colours and cute prints & I love velvet, with some of my pieces having a Victorian feel.

Who makes your clothes?  
My clothes are made in a factory in Napier called Sew Unlimited who are really lovely.

Who sells your clothes?  Can we buy them online? 
Currently they are only sold in my Design Cartel shop.  Online shop will be going live in the next couple of weeks.

What price range are your clothes in?  
My clothes range from $70 to $300 at the moment.  I am also looking into doing some Miss Abigail accessories soon, which may include brooches and scarfs.

What other NZ-made clothing labels do you sell?
Miss Abigail, Love HotelBeau, Desiree Clothing, Millicent, HLDB by Tina and twoWORLDS.

Why do you think NZ clothing labels outsource their manufacturing overseas?  
I think as it's cheaper & there just aren't too many places in New Zealand to get stuff made.

What could the Government do to help clothing labels keep it in NZ?  
Support the current manufacturers in some way.  

Anything to add? 
I just recently found out the only manufacturer in Wellington is apparently closing down in the next couple of months which is really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment