Monday, June 4, 2012

Jasmin Sparrow

www.jasminsparrow.com
facebook.com/jasminsparrow
Physical Address:  Wellington
Operating Since:  I launched the website June 2010.


Jasmin Scott
What are you all about?
What kind of clothes do you make?
I make a range of handmade pieces; jewellery and clothing, embellished with feathers.  I love making one-off pieces.  I have done small collections of one-off tops, dresses and collars.  At the moment, I'm working with metals and creating a collection of unique jewellery pieces.  I love working with natural materials, beautiful silks, leather and feathers.


Who makes your clothes?
My business is of a smaller scale so at the moment I'm making everything myself in my studio at home.


Who sells your clothes?  Can we buy them online?
Most of my sales are made through my online shop.  I also sell in a few selected boutiques throughout NZ.


What price range are your clothes in?
My prices start with feather braids selling at $10 and vary, right up to my one-off pieces selling for around $800.

Why do you think NZ clothing labels outsource their manufacturing overseas?
Price point.  It's a challenge to make locally and sell at a price that is competitive by the time it hits retail.

What could the Government do to help clothing labels keep it in NZ?
I don't think it's a very big priority for the government.  There are so many New Zealanders out of work; it's an area where we could create more jobs but, at the end of the day, price margins are never going to be as low as they are overseas.  Consumers are the ones that need to support designers who produce high quality NZ-made goods, rather than cheaply made Chinese imports.

No comments:

Post a Comment