Monday, June 18, 2012

shelley d

www.shelleyd.co.nz
facebook.com/shelleydnz
twitter.com/shelleydnz
shelleydnz.blogspot.co.nz
Physical Address:  Auckland
Operating Since:  The label was founded June 2011 but officially my company, Shelley D Ltd, was incorporated in March 2012.


Shelley Dunn
What are you all about?  
What kind of clothes do you make?
The passion that drives me to design is a passion for all things unique, high quality & items that will last.  I have pieces of clothing I made for myself 6 or 7 years ago now and I am still wearing these pieces - they still look current and reasonably new!  This is quality at its best; it's what I believe in most and I want my customers to get an investment when they buy from me.  Their purchase will be something that will last and adds value to their wardrobe.


Who makes your clothes?
A lot of the clothing and all of my leather accessories are made in-house by myself.  I have a pretty well-equipped little workroom in my home and access to some great machinery in the area too.  As things progress with my brand, I will work towards having more of my garments made by small local factories.  My very first production run of garments have just come off the line this month; made by a great little sewing factory in Pakuranga, Auckland.


Who sells your clothes?  Can we buy them online?
I sell my clothing and accessories directly through my website.  I also have shops on Etsy and Felt.  My leather bags are stocked in Salisbury Boutique in Dunedin, Struth in Martinborough, The Vault and Rex Royale in Wellington & they will also be in a new store to open up shortly in Hawera called Quirky Fox.  My sales agent will be out and about seeking stockists for my Winter 2013 clothing range from September.  And a recent development:  I will be joining the team at the City Designers Market from 20th July, where you will be able to come in, meet me, have a chat and see my clothing and bags in the flesh every Friday and Saturday in Auckland.


What price range are your clothes in?
I have basics from $79 through to more expensive pieces that can be over $500.  My bags range from $115 to $239 and I also do smaller items like cardholders and necklaces from $23 to $59.  There are also sale items and samples up for grabs from time to time so it's best to keep an eye out.


Why do you think NZ clothing labels outsource their manufacturing overseas?
It's cheaper.


What could the Government do to help clothing labels keep it in NZ?
It's not really the Government who need to adjust, it's consumers.  Most people don't even think about the kind of factory environment they might be supporting when they buy overseas made garments (out of sight, out of mind).  At least with NZ-made, you can be sure that the work environment is decent; they are paid wages and given breaks.  There are still factories in NZ that will do the work if it's on offer; we just need an increasing demand.


Anything to add?
I read a great article recently about why a designer garment costs what it does.  It's written about American designers but it's very applicable to small NZ designers too.
There were a couple of excellent points in it that I'd like to share:
1).  The people behind small designer labels live in neighbourhoods like yours and work in factories that treat people like people.
2).  Nice materials are pricier.  Silk, leather, cashmere all sound fancy for a reason.  It's made to last.
3).  There is a thing called scale.  If you buy a truckload of anything, it's cheaper. So when the production run is smaller, it's more expensive - there is a price to pay for exclusivity!

No comments:

Post a Comment